Divorce & Family Law FAQs

Certified Family Law Specialist in Fayetteville

Hedahl & Radtke Family Law Center provides divorce and family law services in North Carolina. With a dedication to quality representation, we strive to help our clients meet their goals. Our attorney and legal team are passionate about what they do and can provide knowledgeable advice to help you make informed decisions regarding your case.

Contact us today at (910) 684-3370 for help in Fayetteville and Cumberland County.


  • Does the state of North Carolina have any specific legal requirements for seeking an absolute divorce?

    Yes. North Carolina requires a couple to live separately for a period of one year, or 12 months, with the intent to end the marriage before they can seek an absolute divorce.

  • Are there protections for military members against divorce proceedings?

    Yes. Under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act of 2003, military members on active duty are protected from divorce proceedings for the entire time they are on active duty. At the court’s discretion, divorce proceedings may also be postponed for up to 60 days following the military member’s active duty.

  • Will the courts terminate the parental rights of a spouse who does not want to give a child up for adoption?

    If one spouse wants to give up a child for adoption but the other spouse does not, the courts may terminate the parental rights of the contending spouse if it is deemed in the child’s best interests. The courts will consider whether the spouse is paying child support, is involved in the child’s life, left prior to the child’s birth, or filed a paternity action.

  • How is property divided in the state of North Carolina?

    North Carolina follows equitable distribution guidelines, meaning that marital and divisible property in a divorce must be divided fairly and equitably instead of just splitting the property in half. Judges often have the final say in deciding what is equitable or fair in dividing the property between the parties.

  • Can I receive child support from an ex-spouse who has moved out of state?

    Yes. Under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), you may be able to receive child support payments from an ex-spouse or the parent of your child who has moved out of state.

  • If there is a high level of animosity between my spouse and I, can I still seek mediation instead of litigation?

    Yes. While both parties must agree to do the mediation, if the parties cannot be in the same room together, the mediation may be done on different days or in separate rooms for each party.

  • How should my future spouse and I prepare for a prenuptial agreement?

    Before drafting a prenuptial agreement, the law requires both parties to disclose information concerning assets, income, and liabilities. In addition, both parties must enter into the agreement in good faith, meaning that they must not intend to mislead or misrepresent the facts in order to take advantage of the other party.

Thorough Representation for Divorce & Family Law Cases

Serving Fayetteville, Fort Bragg, and Cumberland County, Hedahl & Radtke Family Law Center helps clients seek favorable outcomes for a variety of family law and divorce cases. We stay up-to-date on state and federal laws and both our attorney and several of our support staff possess more than 30 years of experience each. Divorce and family legal issues can be complicated, but we can answer your questions and provide knowledgeable advice for the duration of your case.

For a variety of family law and divorce issues, our lawyer is here to help. Since 1981, we have provided compassionate and thorough legal services for clients in North Carolina. With attention to detail and a commitment to integrity, our team can represent you from start to finish.

Enforce Your Rights – Honor Your Responsibility. Call us today at (910) 684-3370 to learn more about our services.

Contact Hedahl & Radtke Family Law Center Today

We Have The Legal Solutions You Need In Order To Achieve Your Goals. Call (910) 684-3370 Today To Get Started.

  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.